If you scored 5 or higher:
You’re likely to have prediabetes and are at high risk for diabetes. Talk to your doctor to see if additional testing is needed.
Losing weight and being physically active most days of the week has been shown to decrease your risk of diabetes by 58 percent.
To keep your risk of developing diabetes low:
- If you are overweight, lose 5-7 percent of your current weight to lower your risk. For a 200 pound person, that means losing 10-14 pounds.
- Be active most days. Include 30 minutes of physical activity, five days per week as a goal.
- Eat three meals a day at regular times.
- Avoid skipping meals and limit portion sizes.
- Include a variety of lean meats, low-fat dairy, whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables in your food.
If you are interested in learning more about our services to prevent and treat diabetes please contact us at (217)788-3948 or email MemorialWeightLossandWellness@mhsil.com.